Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Guide on the Side



“Mrs. Long are the boys in the story brothers or are they friends?”  .  I had my first grade students ‘partner reading’ a story, when two of my students posed this question to me during our whole group reading time.  My objective was to explore problem and solution in the story, but I set my plans aside and asked, “What do you think?”  The two girls had different opinions and cited different examples in the book.  I suggested that they ask their classmates their opinion.  The girls eagerly went to the front of the room with their book in hand, posing the question to their classmates.   What followed was a lively, intelligent and engaging discussion.  The students in the class were fully engaged, books opened and pages turning to look at each others examples.  My students listened to their classmates’ viewpoints and offered their own.  (My only job in this discussion was to let go of my plans and remind the students that all opinions should be supported by an example and a page number.)  As I sat in the back of the room recording their ideas on my laptop, I had to smile.  My students were so taken up in the discussion, that they hardly knew I was present.   I thought this is what it means to be the “guide on the side and not the sage on the stage”.
 
As I reflect on this powerful experience, I have to ask myself what elements come into play?  What caused this example of student engagement?   First, I believe my students felt comfortable taking a risk.  The two students who led the discussion were at ease standing before their classmates and leading a discussion.  (I have to add that one of the girls would have nothing to do with being in the front of the class in the beginning of the year!) The rest of the class felt safe and supported expressing their opinions.   Second, I believe the students had grown accustomed and confident in solving problems on their own.   They realized that they did not need me to answer their questions.  Finally, rules and behaviors for respectful listening and speaking were modeled often throughout the year.

As I continue to reflect on student engagement in this blog, I believe that creating an environment where students feel comfortable and safe to take risks is essential. I also find  helping students to discover their ability to answer their own questions and solve their own problems to be equally important.  Finally, I believe the teacher should act as a guide encouraging students to become independent learners.


No comments:

Post a Comment