Saturday, May 14, 2011

Beginnings of Primary Relfections


Why Primary Reflections or A Child’s Face Tells All
Recently I attended my nephew’s indoor soccer playoff game.  The team of ten year-olds demonstrated quick and focused abilities.   I felt exhausted just watching them move at a non-stop pace.  The look on my nephew’s face was pure concentration.  

Driving home from work I noticed a young boy riding his small bike on the sidewalk.  He intensely focused on each push against the pedal while balancing the wobbling bike.  The singleness of focus on practicing this new skill was so powerful that I was afraid he would unknowingly pedal right out in the street.   However, his face shone with sheer determination as he negotiated a turn on the sidewalk.  

As I write this my stepson is downstairs playing X-box, highly focused and determined.   The game is one of problem-solving.  He has his laptop opened at the same time guiding him with walk-throughs.  He is back and forth between the laptop and  game.. . reading, strategizing, problem solving.  I know the expression on his face . . .unwavering focus.

Each face remains etched in my mind.  Each face has a story to tell, especially for me, a first grade teacher.
Each face speaks  a very clear message to me about student engagement.  When children are engaged and motivated there is no end to what they can learn.  Students need to be actively involved in their education.   Of course this is not a new message, but I decided it would be the focus of my professional development for the upcoming school year (and now).    At our school we will submit a professional development plan by June that will include our goals.  My goal for the upcoming year will be to increase student engagement in the classroom through project-based learning and active learning approaches.  I hope to use this blog to reflect on my primary level classroom and increased engagement----hence the name “Primary Reflections”.

No comments:

Post a Comment